From Namecoin DNS
What is Namecoin
Namecoin is a distributed naming system based on bitcoin technology (a cryptocurrency).
Namecoin is a peer-to-peer generic name/value datastore system based on Bitcoin technology (a decentralized cryptocurrency). It allows you to:
- Securely register and transfer arbitrary names (keys), no possible censorship!
- Attach values (data) to the names (up to 1023 bytes)
- Trade and transact namecoins, the digital currency NMC
There are plenty of possible use cases. Some examples:
[Name] => [Value] DNS: domain_name => domain_zone_configuration Identity: user_name => user_public_identity (email, name, gpg key, etc) Timestamping: document_hash => document_infos (name, hash, owner, etc)
To register a name, you must own some namecoins (NMC, the internal cryptocurrency used by the software).
- distributed/decentralized: each user has its own copy of the full database
- secure: security (with public/private keys) is deeply integrated in the software to allow only the owner of a name to modify it in the distributed database.
- pseudonymous: all transfers of data are public and linked to random generated addresses
- open: anybody can use namecoin to register a name or to create its own Namespace
Projects using Namecoin
- Dot-BIT: a domain name system (DNS) using the .bit TLD.
Logo forum thread: http://dot-bit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=486