From Namecoin DNS
This page has not yet been migrated to the new wiki but it may have been partially moved or simply out of date. Instead of editing this page, please take a moment and help move it to the new wiki.
What is Namecoin
Namecoin is a distributed naming system based on bitcoin technology (a cryptocurrency).
Namecoin is a peer-to-peer generic name/value datastore system based on Bitcoin technology (a decentralized cryptocurrency). It allows you to:
- Securely register and transfer arbitrary names (keys), no possible censorship!
- Attach values (data) to the names (up to 1023 bytes)
- Trade and transact namecoins, the digital currency NMC
There are plenty of possible use cases. Some examples:
[Name] => [Value] DNS: domain_name => domain_zone_configuration Identity: user_name => user_public_identity (email, name, gpg key, etc) Timestamping: document_hash => document_infos (name, hash, owner, etc)
To register a name, you must own some namecoins (NMC, the internal cryptocurrency used by the software).
- distributed/decentralized: each user has its own copy of the full database
- secure: security (with public/private keys) is deeply integrated in the software to allow only the owner of a name to modify it in the distributed database.
- pseudonymous: all transfers of data are public and linked to random generated addresses
- open: anybody can use namecoin to register a name or to create its own Namespace
Projects using Namecoin
- Dot-BIT: a domain name system (DNS) using the .bit TLD.
Logo forum thread: http://dot-bit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=486