Namecoin Bundle : namecoin + proxy for firefox, IE & chrome
Aim of this bundle is to provide an all in one package that people can install to really use the decentralized part of the namecoin DNS system, instead on relying on external DNS or proxy servers. This is a first shot made with some existing tools, that only need you to be improved This bundle is composed of :
- namecoin binary (v0.3.24.64)
- an uptodate blockchain (block 25387)
binary (v0.4) : a socks5 proxy written by itsnotlupus
- some scripts to launch and stopHow to use it :
- Unzip on the desktop (or where you want)
- Launch :
* linux : namecoinBundle.sh (on gnome, select : Launch in a terminal, must stay open, otherwise relaunch)
* windows : namecoin.bat, then nmcSocks.bat (both must stay open, otherwise relaunch)If you don't have FoxyProxy in Firefox, IE or Chrome :
- Install FoxyProxy Standard (in firefox Open "Tools" → "Add-ons" and search for "Foxy Proxy Standard", install this extension and restart Firefox)
- Configure FoxyProx : Go to "Tools" → "Foxy Proxy Standard" → "Options", Open "File" → "Import Settings" and select the file "etc/FoxyProxy.xml"
All settings will be owerwritten with the new ones.If you already have FoxyProxy in Firefox, IE or Chrome :
- Add another proxy :
* in firefox Open "Tools" → "Add-ons" and search for "Foxy Proxy Standard",
* "Add a new proxy" and put "127.0.0.1" in the IP, "9055" in the port, check "Proxy Socks" and "SOCKS v5"
* Select the last tab "URL pattern" and "Add a new pattern" with the name "Dot-BIT" and the pattern "*.bit/*"
* Validate your new proxy ("OK" button")
* Change the FoxyProxy mode to "Use proxies based on their pre-defined patterns and priorities"How it works :
- FoxyProxy is configured to redirect all .bit requests to the locally running nmcsocks proxy (listening on port 9055). All other requests are processed the normal way by firefox, IE or Chrome.
- nmcsocks resolves DNS requests by asking namecoin
- nmcsocks acts like a proxy to provide web pagesREADME :
- a new wallet is generated at first launch. This namecoin archive is configured to run in parallel with other namecoin instances (another port, another data folder, etc).
- nmcsocks binary is provided by https://github.com/itsnotlupus/nmcsocks/downloads
and i wasn't able to build a working binary with current tree (node.js:438, var fn = runInThisContext(source, this.filename, true); node.js:134, throw e; // process.nextTick error, or 'error' event on first tick).A node.js specialist is welcome to give some help TODO :
- i don't know how scripts works in osx, so, no osx releaseHelp is welcome too.
- a small GUI reduced in the state/notification zone would be better than .sh and .bat scriptsHelp is welcome too.Files :http://dot-bit.org/files/NamecoinBundleLinux.7zhttp://dot-bit.org/files/NamecoinBundleWindows.7z
(tested on XP, can somebody report if it works on win7 too ?)
_________________Register Namecoin domains with BTCMy bitcoin Identity
- Send messages to bitcoin users
- Make a good deed without paying a cent